I am Laura Northcutt and I am the school counselor on our campus. I am so thrilled that you have taken the opportunity to share your child with us this school year. Prekindergarten is one of my favorite grades to work with. The students are like sponges ready to absorb so much knowledge. It truly is where the love of learning begins.
My role is to help guide them through the process as additional support to the classroom teacher. This involves going into the classrooms and presenting guidance lessons on several different topics such as character development, conflict resolution, personal safety choices, plus many more. I also work with children in small groups and on an individual basis as needed.
This is my 15th year in education and 7th year as a school counselor, prior to that I taught various grade levels at the elementary level. I graduated from Texas A & M, Whoop, Go Aggies!!! I am married and have 3 cute kids: a 3rd grader, a 1st grader, and a 4-year-old. I understand all about how busy families can be and little children. For fun I enjoy spending time with my family playing outside, hiking, reading, cooking, and starting a bazillion projects.
What is a counselor?
The Elementary School Counselor:
- Counsels children individually and in small groups
- Teaches guidance lessons in classrooms
- Consults with teachers and parent to promote student's academic success
- Provides information on community resources for families
- Promotes student achievement and character education through special events
- Offers positive strategies for all learners
Classroom Guidance Topics
- Character Education
- Conflict Resolution and Bullying
- Individual differences
- Peer Relations and conflict resolution
- Substance abuse awareness and prevention
- Personal safety
- Career awareness
- Study and test-taking skills
- Decision making and problem-solving
- Self-esteem and internal motivation
- Strategies for coping with emotions and difficult situations
Individual & Group Counseling
- Helps children cope with difficult and/or unchangeable life events
- Teaches children to recognize and make use of their potential
- Gives children the opportunity to share their feelings and concerns
- Develop problem-solving strategies
- Teaches decision-making skills
- Builds self-esteem and confidence